There are so many things to do in Maine and especially in and around the population center of Portland, Maine. I live just outside Portland and go in quite often. It's one of my favorite cities (and I'm totally a country girl), because it's walkable, friendly and has some of the world's best restaurants! When friends come to visit, I give them this list of fun and interesting things to do in and around Portland. Feel free to share it on your wedding website or with your guests "from away."
- Portland Museum of Art So I haven’t personally been yet but I hear great things about it and its cafe.
- Bard Coffee One of the best coffee shops in all of Maine! The owners Bob and Carmen are two of the kindest people you'll ever meet.
- Gelato Fiasco Italian ice cream at it's best made right here in Maine. A delicious treat
- Hunt & Alpine Club Amazing cocktails, Instagram-worthy Scandanavian small plates bursting with flavor; try the popcorn and deviled eggs
- Holy Donut You CANNOT leave Portland without eating at least one (who are we kidding - JUST ONE?) of these donuts
- Victoria Mansion I haven’t been yet but it’s supposed to be really cool
- Maine Craft Distilling They have a tasting room near Coffee By Design (also really good coffee) on Diamond Street; very hip, urban local distillery (they also have a tasting room in Freeport near LL Bean)
- Peaks Island Take the Casco Bay Ferry out to Peaks (15 minutes ferry ride) and walk around the island. Lots of weddings take place at the Inn on Peaks and the Harborview at Jones Landing
- Eastern Promenade There's a lovely park right in Portland with beautiful views of Casco Bay and a little gazebo where weddings take place; while you’re on the East End of Portland, get some fries at Duck Fat!
- Back Cove trail This is a nice, flat walking path along the Back Bay gives you a different perspective of Portland
- Eventide Oyster Co. The best place for oysters evah!
- Soakology A luxurious foot soak and tea house, ahhhh!
- Press Hotel This is a hip, boutique hotel that has one of the city's best restaurants - Union Portland
- Top of the East You have to have a cocktail at the bar at the top of the Westin Hotel with the most amazing views of the entire city!
- Bayside Bowl While I haven't yet had the chance to bowl here, I LOVE bowling and this should be a blast!
- Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad and Museum Old Timey Portland charm
- Rising Tide Brewery They've got a tasting room and a great selection of craft brewed beer.
- Portland Farmers Market A year-round farmers market with over 40 farmers
- Scratch Bakery Try the Earl Grey Ginger tea and any of their amazing scones!
- Willard Beach It's walking distance from Scratch and it’s a dog beach with really beautiful views of Casco Bay
- Portland Head Light Portland’s own lighthouse. Yes, you can get married there!
I wrote this blog post about the best rehearsal dinner locations in Portland, which lists a bunch of great restaurants. I also and Maine honeymoon ideas but it might give you some other cool ideas of things to do and see while you’re here.
I am Maine wedding officiant and the author of this blog. I collaborate with my clients to craft original and deeply personalized wedding ceremonies. You can read more about my services here and here. I hope this post was useful and that you've found the wedding venue of your dreams here in Maine!