It's totally normal to be nervous on wedding day. For a lot of people, the thought of being the center of attention for eight hours straight is enough to give them a panic attack. There's so much pressure for everything to be perfect on wedding day, that it's no wonder people get a little anxious. I'm going to give you a technique that will help to calm your nerves on wedding day, because we want you to enjoy the experience of the day!
How to Calm Your Nerves
When things get crazy on wedding day, try this technique:
- Step away from the wonderful chaos to be by yourself for just a few moments.
- Take a few sips from a glass of water and just be still.
- Listen to the birds or waves or laughter in the background. Focus in on your surroundings.
- Take a deep breath. As you exhale, imagine all your energy going down to your feet.
- Feel your feet firmly connected to the earth.
- Take another deep breath. As you exhale, let your shoulders drop.
You'll notice that your breath will start to slow down and you'll become aware of what's going on around you rather than feeling like things are out of control. I'm speaking from experience here, because on my wedding day I was (ahem...am) a bit of a control freak. I wish someone had given me this technique, I think it would have helped me become much more present and would have helped me to enjoy my wedding even more.
If this doesn't work, sometimes a shot of tequila will do the trick! Hahaha! Just kidding, actually, it's best to avoid a lot of alcohol before the ceremony. Excitement and anxiety affect your body the same way, and they both dehydrate your system. Make sure you drink lots of water as you're getting ready. And while you're at it, make sure you eat on wedding day!
I want you to know that before every ceremony, I do this technique. It helps me become grounded which allows me to be calm and relaxed during your wedding ceremony. I've heard from many couples that my calming presence really helped them be "in the moment" during their ceremony. It's my gift to you!