Ok kids, this post is going to get real. Get ready for some truthiness!
When choosing your maid of honor or man of honor, choose very, very carefully. I know that sounds harsh, but not only is it a great honor, it’s a big-ass job! The person you choose for this role must have some or most of the following qualities:
- always be punctual
- be calm under pressure
- care more about others than him/herself
- be a hard worker without complaint
- love you so much that they’ll literally do anything for you
- be super organized
- be a good organizer of people and things
- get along with the rest of the wedding party (cuz he/she’s going to have to ask them to do stuff)
- always be on time, oh, did I already mention this? it’s that important!
Sounds like a saint, right? Right. The last thing you want is to honor someone with the job who either can’t or won’t step up to be the person you need them to be. You want to feel like you can trust this person completely and that they’ve got your back. That they’ll protect you from the craziness by making good decisions on your behalf. I know this sounds a bit melodramatic but I’ve seen it both ways and, trust me, you want to think about this before choosing.
All of this gets a lot less important if you have an awesome wedding planner, so seriously consider hiring one if you friend just can’t pull this off.