So you're married, now what? If you got married in Maine and you want to get a copy of your marriage license you MUST request one from the Maine Office of Vital Records. You do not automatically receive a copy of your marriage license. The fee to obtain a copy of your marriage license is $15 (and $6 for each additional copy) and you have a few choices of how you request the certified document.
how to obtain a copy of your marriage license:
- Go to the office of vital records in Augusta: 244 Water Street, Augusta, Maine. Payment by cash or check only.
- Request a copy online and pay by credit card (extra fee applied) using VitalCheckExpress
- Make a request in writing (see instructions below). Mail request, check and a self-addressed stamped #10 envelope to:
Office of Vital Records
244 Water Street, SHS #11
Augusta, ME 04333-0011
instructions for fulfilling your request by mail:
- Name of partner 1
- Name of partner 2
- Date of marriage
- Name of city/town the marriage occurred in
- A daytime telephone number
- Make check payable to: "Treasurer - State of Maine"
- Who has access?
- Picture I.D. requirement(s)
For more information call the Maine Office of Vital Records (207) 287-3181 or 1-888-664-9491