Disclaimer: I’ve never proposed to anyone before. I’ve been proposed TO, but I’ve never actually done anything that I’m going to tell you to do. Now that we have that out of the way, let me give you my thoughts on how to propose to your boyfriend or girlfriend.
- Get feedback on what kind of a ring he or she wants. do not, under any circumstances, purchase a ring without knowing that they’re going to absolutely love it. You saw that episode of Sex and the City, right? Yeah, don’t let that be you.
- Have a plan. It doesn’t have to be elaborate. Don’t let all these crazy youtube proposals intimidate you. You don’t have to have a flash mob, but try to have a plan. Try to think about a place where you and your beloved will feel comfortable to jump up and down and possibly scream (if they’re anything like me!).
- Don’t freak out if your plan doesn’t go as planned. I just heard the best proposal story where they ended up getting engaged in a parking garage because the proposal didn’t go as planned. It made for a great story!
- Whatever the plan, make sure it doesn’t involve your sweetie swallowing the ring by accident. The whole ring-in-the-bottom-of-a-champagne-glass is a little overrated.
- Hire a professional photographer or videographer to capture the moment. You’ll NEVER have that moment again and it’s one of the best moments of anyone’s life. I’m so, so lucky that some total stranger captured our engagement on a disposable camera and mailed me the original print (I’m not kidding!). You might not be so lucky, so better to plan for it.
- Think about what you’re going to say ahead of time but when the time finally arrives speak authentically from your heart rather than reading from your notes.
- Try to stay calm and relaxed. I’ve actually heard stories of people thinking their significant other was about to break up with them because they were acting so weirdly and abnormally. Take some cleansing breaths and stay focused on the love.
- Good luck, smile, and have fun!
For a little inspiration this is one of my all-time favorite proposals. I love it for its simplicity. There weren’t dancers or singers or circus clowns or anything dramatic, just a guy asking the girl of his dreams to marry him. Wwoon!
Leave your proposal story in the comments, I’d love to hear all about it!