a maine wedding officiant
Couples who hire me know that they want a meaningful, personalized ceremony but aren't sure how to make it happen. I have years of experience offering guidance and support throughout the whole wedding ceremony planning process from envisioning and outlining your ceremony, to writing your your vows, to managing your rehearsal and then performing your ceremony on wedding day. I work collaboratively with you to craft a totally original ceremony that reflects your love, your relationship, your family traditions and future dreams. The end result is a deeply meaningful and personal.
My goals for our work together
- Guide you through envisioning, planning, and creating the entire ceremony (not just the "script")
- Create a lively, grounded, and engaging ceremony experience for you and your guests
- Manage every aspect of the ceremony so you can let go and be totally present
- Be an attentive, supportive, and calming presence on your wonderfully full wedding day
I promise I will not
- Embarrass you by telling bad jokes or surprise you on wedding day (you always get a copy of the final ceremony before wedding day)
- Rush you or your guests, get overwhelmed and frantic, or show up late
- Force you to use a tired, outdated and impersonal wedding ceremony script
- Restrict your creativity in any way (you have complete creative freedom when it comes to your Super Sweet Wedding Ceremony!)
More about me
I grew up on an organic dairy farm in the hills of the Monadnock Region in Southern New Hampshire. As the youngest of six children, I learned that family is everything. Fortunately, most of my family lives in New England, so I get to see them often. Other than family, the things that matter most are my husband, Nick, my sweet kitties and our little cottage in Bath, Maine. I'm self-employed with both A Sweet Start and the Maine Wedding Network. I strive to meditate daily, to be kind, and above all to be honest and real.
Here's an interview I gave that explains more about my services and my style and another one I gave that talks about what makes me unique. You can also read 21 reasons why I'm awesome to work with. I believe in marriage equality and am delighted that same-sex marriages are legal in the United States. I have already performed gay weddings and have insight on unique and beautiful wedding ceremonies for same-sex couples.
I am available for weddings all over Maine and am based out of Bath. Please contact me to set up a time to chat so we can get to know each other and see if we're a good fit.
Native New Englander. Former schoolteacher. Sought-after wedding officiant. Of all the labels that describe Maria Northcott, however, the one you’ll hear most often is “creator of community.” It’s not just weddings that are Maria’s passion — it’s the people at the heart of those weddings. Whether it’s couples planning their wedding or the professionals who serve them, Maria thrives on building relationships and making connections. In 2015, she quit her full-time job to free her heart and soul to do exactly that. Not only is Maria in demand as an officiant by couples across the country, but she's also the founder of the Maine Wedding Network, fostering a sense of collaboration and support among professional wedding vendors throughout Maine. Whether it’s by the woodstove in her midcoast cottage or at one of the many weddings she officiates each year, Maria exudes a warmth that draws people in, makes them feel comfortable, and sends them back into the world with a brighter spark in their eye.