It's time to start looking for your wedding officiant. You're getting married in Maine, and it's a destination wedding, so you have no idea who's going to perform your ceremony. You thought about asking a friend to officiate your ceremony, because it would be so meaningful, but, although that friend is a great public speaker, they're kind of disorganized and you're not sure you can trust them to pull it all together by wedding day.
Hire a Professional Wedding Officiant
So, you decide you want a professional wedding officiant, but you're scared you'll get one who:
- is boring, monotone, and only does lengthy ceremonies
- is too religious and/or too traditional
- won't take charge so you can let go and not have to worry about anything
- won't let you write your own ceremony
- is strict, somber and won't really know you
You really want an officiant who:
- performs engaging and interesting ceremonies
- is professional as well as kind, warm and friendly
- is wiling to bring levity *and* gravity to the ceremony
- can write a heartfelt, customized ceremony that reflects you
- will give you ideas, suggestions and advice on our ceremony
Now it's time to research officiants so you get a good one. Here are the 5 most important questions to ask each officiant so you find the one that's all the things you want and none of the things you don't.
5 Most Important Questions to Ask Your Officiant
- How collaborative is the process of writing the ceremony? Do we get to be part of the process?
- How do you make the ceremony meaningful and reflect us as a couple?
- How involved are you in helping us plan the logistics of the ceremony (processional, timing of music, who is participating, etc.)
- How do you coordinate with our other vendors to make sure the ceremony is integrated seamlessly into our wedding day?
- What is your philosophy and why have you've chosen this profession?
Along with these 5 questions to ask your officiant, you might also read 10 Things to Consider When Choosing A Wedding Officiant. So many couples I talk to aren't sure what questions to ask me in our initial conversation. They know they want a meaningful ceremony performed by someone they feel a connection with, but they don't know what questions to ask. Hopefully, by asking your wedding officiant these questions you'll find the officiant that's right for you!